Monday, February 9, 2015

Wax Carving

My latest inspiration comes from a design idea that came to me when I happened upon a gem I've had laying around for a while. Here is the initial layout..



 I started with a chunk cut off of a big block of purple wax and carved a high sided bezel. The stone is a slightly heart-shaped Amethyst.



Top view with and without the stone in place. 



After achieving the shape I wanted for the bezel, I decided to carve a geometric design into the walls. The negative space will prevent the pendant from being too heavy when it is cast in metal while also adding some interesting detail for the eye!



I also hollowed out the bezel from the inside a little more. You can see the thickness of the bezel wall in the photo below, which shows the piece from the underside. 



I will continue the geometric cutout pattern all the way around the bezel and clean up each triangle before casting it in 14k yellow gold.

Stay tuned for more updates on this piece as well as the turquoise Sleeping Beauty and Mexican Opal!




No comments:

Post a Comment